In this eNEWS
2. OMEP-ARNEC(Asia Pacific Regional Network for Early Childhood) Collaboration
- 1. Asia-Pacific Regional Conference on Early Childhood Development at Singapore
- 2. Participating in Global Petition on ECD
- 1. ESD in ECEC(March, 2013, Japan)
- 2. New national president of OMEP elected.
4. 2014 World Assembly and Congress in Cork.
5. International Journal of Early Childhood(IJEC)
Dr. Maggie Koong, our World President, was awarded an honorary doctorate of humane letters (L.H.D.) by Whittier College, USA on 16 May, 2014.
Each year, the Faculty of Whittier College has the distinct honour to nominate and select candidates to receive the College’s highest award. Since 1913, the impressive list of honourands has included pioneers, rising stars, and key contributors in the fields of science, business, politics, engineering, education, and the humanities, among others.
The honorary degree was awarded to Dr. Koong in recognition of her tireless advocacy for young children, especially those who are most vulnerable. Besides her leadership position at OMEP, the Chief Principal of Victoria Educational Organisation in Hong Kong is also an NGO representative to the United Nations and is the first Vice-President of UNICEF Hong Kong. She also serves on numerous child- and family-related organisations in Hong Kong and China. Last year, she was honoured with the Bronze Bauhinia Star for her meritorious public and community service, particularly her valuable contribution to the development and learning of young children, by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government.
Dr. Koong felt deeply honoured by the degree, she said: “This is not only an honour of myself as an individual, but a recognition of the importance of early childhood development. I and everyone at OMEP will continue to defend children’s wellbeing, rights, and early education.”