OMEP Kenya, together with the Nakuru West preschool Kenya celebrated the World Peace Day (21st Sept). The children learnt the meaning of the word peace and the importance of living together in harmony. We crowned the day by mixing water and soil and made “plasticine” to make the word PEACE as a team. A big thank you to the school head teacher Mr. Francis Macharia for making the day successful.
Please visit OMEP Kenya’s Facebook for more photos.
6th Kindergarten School of Hermoupolis, Syros, Greece
Inspired by the International Day of Peace, the pupils of three classes of the 6th Kindergarten School in Hermoupolis, in collaboration with the teachers Ms Androulaki Georgia, Ms Karathanou Violetta,Ms Nikopoulou Theopigi and Ms Farazi Eftychia and with the support of the Head of the Primary Scientific and Pedagogical Guidance of the South Aegean Ms Paramithiotou Markela, decided to celebrate peace the week between 22nd and 26th of September.
We decided to organise activities so that all the children could take part even the younger ones who started school some weeks ago.
- We talked about the benefits of peace and the sufferings that war causes to humans in order to underline the importance of peace for peoples.
- We used red to symbolise peace, because red is the color of our heart and black symbolises war.
- We learned how to recognise and draw the peace symbol.
- We made crafts, like the” peace pigeons” and” the tree of peace”. The fruits of this tree are life, love, happiness, joy, care, education, work, food, family, a smile, freedom, justice and hope.
- We drew the “peace happiness” on a white cloth and stuck it on a big red heart, which symbolises our hearts.
- We recited poems and narrated fairytales such as “The whale that eats the war” which was written by Trivizas Eugenios and the ancient Greek comedy “Peace” of the important Greek satirical poet Aristophanes.
- We drew the international symbol of peace on white balloons and let them fly guided by the wind, so as to send our message from Syros, this small island in Greece, to all over the world.
- We sang a special song, the song of peace, as loudly as possible with the help of the musician of the neighboring primary school, Mr. Roussos Nikos, who played the accordion. And, of course, we thanked him a lot.
To conclude, we present to you a small part of our work with a lot of love! We want to show you, how we perceived the “happiness” of peace. In that way, everybody “locked” this word in their souls, so as to guide us in our future.
These are the lyrics of the song we sang written by Aggeliki Kapsaski
Mother’s hug is PEACE
Father’s kisses are PEACE
The hot bread is PEACE
Our lovely school is PEACE
The heartbeats are PEACE
The children all over the world are PEACE
Having food is PEACE
Love among peoples is PEACE